The World Almanac and Book of FactsBook
"...this lively book is one the trivia-minded will find hard to put down...a must-have for every reference desk, classroom, and household. If you buy only one ready-reference book this year (or if you've been chosen to appear on Jeopardy! ), purchase this juggernaut with no hesitation."--Library Journal
"For the most information in one source, The World Almanac ® remains the champion."--American Library Association
"...a powerhouse of statistics, facts, lists, and stories...It is hard to imagine a question you might have that is not covered by this reference."--American Reference Books Annual
"My #1 reference work for facts."--Will Shortz, The New York Times Crossword Editor
"...the most useful reference book known to modern man."--Los Angeles Times
The World Almanac ® and Book of Facts is America's top-selling reference book of all time, with more than 82 million copies sold. Published annually since 1868, this compendium of information is the authoritative source for all your entertainment, reference, and learning needs. Praised as a "treasure trove of political, economic, scientific and educational statistics and information" by The Wall Street Journal , The World Almanac ® contains thousands of facts that are unavailable publicly elsewhere--in fact, it has been featured as a category on Jeopardy! and is routinely used as a go-to, all-encompassing guide for aspiring game show contestants. Teachers can use this fascinating reference to teach both skimming and scanning techniques. The 2014 edition of The World Almanac ® and Book of Facts will answer all of your trivia questions--from history and sports to geography, pop culture, and much more.
• Marriage in America--After a year in which the U.S. Supreme Court declared the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA) unconstitutional and the federal government began to extend marriage benefits to same-sex couples, this feature on marriage in the United States reveals surprising details about the state of our unions.
• Voter Guide--Prior to the 2014 midterm elections, tap this user-friendly, state-by-state guide for key election dates and information, including voter-ID laws adopted by many states.
• Memorable Winter Olympic Moments--From Tonya Harding and Nancy Kerrigan to the Miracle on Ice, the editors of The World Almanac ® chose their favorite moments from past Winter Olympics to prepare readers for the 2014 Games and beyond.
• Year in Sports--Uncover hundreds of pages of trivia and statistics that are essential for any sports fan, including complete coverage of the 2013 World Series, the brand-new National Women's Soccer League, and more.
• Year in Pictures--These striking full-color images from around the world in 2013 illustrate the top events in news, pop culture, science, and sports.
• Top 10 News Topics--The editors of The World Almanac® list the top stories that held their attention in 2013.
• Time Capsule-- The World Almanac® features the items that most came to symbolize the year 2013, from news and sports to pop culture.
• Offbeat News Stories--Recap some of the strangest news stories of the year with The World Almanac® editors' selection of off-the-wall news stories you might have missed.
• The World at a Glance--This annual feature provides a quick look at the surprising stats and curious facts that define the changing world today.
• Health News and Statistics--Discover details about U.S. health care policy and the ongoing implementation of health c